Monday, April 22, 2013

Let’s Get Acquainted!

Happy Monday! I’m linking up with Mrs. Reed from Flying Into First for her Let’s Get Acquainted Linky. I’m sharing three of my favorite areas in my classroom.

1. My Floating Word Wall: I created this because I had very little board space in my room. With this, my kids are able to access our word wall any time! I’ve created a product for my floating word wall here.

image

2. My Focus Wall: I use my focus wall to display everything we are learning each week. It’s a great reference for my kids who forget our spelling words or HFWs. It’s also a great reminder for me as to what we are doing throughout the week because my mommy brain makes me forget everything! Did I mention I have a product for this??? I know…I know… #shamelessplug

184

3. My Clip Chart: I’m sure you’re wondering why this would be my favorite. Since I began teaching, I’ve only used the green/yellow/red behavior system. I found that this only “rewarded” unacceptable behavior. Those students who always did the right thing never got much attention besides getting a “green” for the day. So…I researched and found the clip chart behavior system. I like the fact that students get a chance to clip up. It gives them something to word toward! In my classroom, each student has a punch card. If they clip up during the day, I poke a hole in their punch card. If they fill it up in the month, they get to attend a reward party. So far I’ve done a nacho party, a popcorn party, and this month will be a cupcake party. My students really strive hard to get their punch cards filled, which translates to better behavior overall with my kids. You can view my old post to get everything in the pic below.

IMG_0940[1]

+Sincerely, MrsMc

13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your word wall. What a great idea. I have limited space too and that would work out well in my classroom. I'm your newest follower.

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by as well and for becoming a follower!

      Delete
  3. I definitely agree about the clip chart and how it rewards good behavior for those kids who are always good but don't get recognized with other behavior systems. When my kids get to the top, they get a sparkle gem for their clip. I also love the idea of floating word walls too! Maybe I'll have to do that next year!
    Liz
    Teaching in the Valley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like your idea for when the kids get to the top of the chart! Yes, I definitely prefer this system for behavior management.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I'm actually so relieved to see another first grade teacher with limited space. Thanks for sharing your pictures! I'm also your newest follower!
    Meghan
    First Grade Hugs and High Fives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and becoming a follower Meghan! Yes, I'm very limited in my space, so I've had to create lots of area in inventive ways!

      Delete
  5. Really neat idea for a word wall. It looks really clean and colorful as well.
    Thanks for sharing.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok that word wall is awesome. I am so impressed that I might have to borrow that idea for next year :) I am a new follower!
    xo
    Elizabeth
    Kickin' it in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! Borrow all you want! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your classroom. Your Word Wall is a great idea. I'm so glad I found your blog. Thanks for letting us peek into your classroom.
    Sandra
    www.savvyteachingtips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete